Sunday, January 10, 2016

My experience as an event photographer in Badge Night 2016

Two days ago, I have an experience on how is it like for a 'newbie' photographer to cover formal events such as Badge Night. I willingly volunteered for the position as a photographer to gain more experience on event photography. The photo above shows an aerial shot of the MPH used for the Badge Ceremony, if anyone of y'all are wondering how I can get such shots, it is because I can. That photo is shot using my phone by the way.

First of all, it is not like a student photographer's average event photography coverage, the main reason why I said this is that the setting that I was shooting photographs in was in an almost dark MPH with black curtains covering the glass doors, with only less light available to help me to gain more shutter speed with somewhat bright photos. As a main photographer of the event, what I am supposed to do is to take photographs of Sec 1s getting the card with the SST badge on it by the Principal, take shots of students pinning their badges on and sing the school song. As I do not have much experience with event photography, I sought advices from my seniors and of course those who have experience with such event photography. With their advices and planning before the actual event, I am able to get prepared for the event.

The first thing I have to do is to take 200 photos of Sec 1s getting their badge, I have to bend my knees and get into my shooting position for 200 times, with my palms sweating in the midst of snapping photos of the Sec 1s. After the last student get his badge, I moved on to taking photos of them pinning their badges, but before I do so, I have to test its photo quality before I get into the real thing. Once I get my settings right, I began taking photos of Sec 1s pinning their badges, this time without the tripod. And when it was the part when they are supposed to sing the school song, there was a technical difficulty and the AV crew were unable to play the music but the video instead. As the AV crew failed to solve their technical issue, the whole cohort suddenly sung the school song loudly and lively as a family together, with the gusto too. That moment reminded me of the 2015's SEA Games technical issue when the AV crew could not play the audio and the Singaporean athletes sung their national anthem loudly, lively and with gusto. I felt proud for the Sec 1s as I could feel that they have a great sense of belonging in SST, just like the athletes in Singapore having the sense of belonging in Singapore. Nonetheless, I still snapped the moment where they sung the school song with gusto, and hopefully some of my photos will be showcased in the SST's official Facebook page.

After I fulfilled my expectations on what I was supposed to snap photos on, I helped the secondary photographer to snap a few more photos as her camera was unable to focus anymore. As I have quite some more memory left, I decided to add on by snapping photos of Sec 1s and Student Councillors clearing up the MPH after the event. At that time, I am able to show my potential in snapping photos as there is the action going on at that timing, and most importantly, the more-than-enough lighting given to me to snap my photos. The only thing to improve on is to show people's faces while snapping photos, but of course, everything happens too fast during event photography.

To conclude, I had a fun experience doing event photography for Badge Night and if there's any event photography events that I have the opportunity to join, I would definitely volunteer myself to such photography and at the same time sharpening my photography skills and to get experienced in event photography, and also to gain a leadership position in my CCA.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your help for Badge Night! Are you under restriction from posting more pictures from the event?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no restrictions on the number of photos to snap, so as long I don't use up all the storage inside the storage card.

      Delete
  2. yay Jun Hao. Dont worry this is just the beginning. U still have alot more events to cover, all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unlike someone never cover events one ehem ehem

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.